Convert Microsoft Word Document to PDF/HTML on Linux with JAVA using Aspose.Words REST API

Hi,
My primary usecase of using aspose total is for document conversion. I want to convert microsoft documents to pdf/html formats. Are there any drawbacks of using cloud api’s over java ? What limitations cloud api’s has and are these listed somewhere. If yes please share the details.
Secondly about fonts. If I call rest api’s from linux system will that give me font issues for microsoft fonts that are not available on linux as when I use Aspose.Total for Java it gives me issues on linux

1 Like

@poojard,

Thanks for contacting support and sorry for the delayed response.

The Cloud APIs are developed on top of current APIs targetting .NET framework and our Java APIs are also ported from .NET APIs. However there are some limitations in terms of features currently avaialble in Cloud APIs but the team is working on adding more features in every new release.

When using Aspose.Total for Java for document conversion, the fonts being used in documents must be available on system where conversion is being perfomed, else there will be content rendering issues. However when performing conversion using Cloud APIs, if the fonts are uploaded on server, the conversion will be fine.

1 Like

Sorry but I am not still clear about fonts. So let’s say I am calling CLOUD API for document conversion that font has to be available in cloud api server right ? Or it has to do anything with the system from where I am calling it.
Can you please help me understanding the limitations provided by aspose when it comes to cloud API. Is it listed somewhere

1 Like

@poojard,

I am in coordination with related teams and will get back to you soon.

1 Like

Can we get further clarification on the limitations of Cloud vs. .NET vs. Java SDKS?

A dedicated landing page to this topic would be very helpful.

@rstellar

Aspose offers its APIs both as Native APIs and REST/Cloud APIs.

REST APIs are platform independent APIs, you can call our APIs using any REST client. Though we recommend our users to use our Cloud SDKs that makes calling our APIs very easy. Please check the API Reference page to have a bird’s eye view of all the APIs that we offer.

Whereas in case of Native APIs, you download our library (.NET or Java) to your local system and all the processing and storage is done on your system.

In a nutshell, Cloud APIs are just a wrapper around our Native APIs to offer File Format APIs over the Cloud.

Please feel free to contact us if you need any further information.

Our Cloud servers use Windows Server 2016 as the OS and fonts available with this OS are installed. Some most common fonts are also installed.

However, if you want to use some custom font with Aspose Cloud APIs, you need to create a font folder in storage and upload the fonts there. And later you can refer the font folder as a fontFolder parameter in the API Call. Hopefully it will help you to accomplish the task. Please feel free to contact us in case of any issue or concern.